June 03, 2013

mini makeover > personalized pillows

One of the goals on my bucket list is to somehow turn my handwriting into an actual computer font. I have no idea yet as to how to make this happen but figure I am still young and technology keeps improving, so the odds are in my favour. (I used to still beam with pride if someone takes the time to comment on and/or compliment my handwriting. Weird, I know. I can't help it.)

With these personalized pillows, I originally thought I'd do a pattern of stripes (one of my favourite things besides penmanship), polka dots, or circles... but somehow I scrapped my plan to practice with a rough copy and started doodling me and the hubby's initials on the cushion covers instead. And am fairly happy with the spontaneous results.

 
These pillows were inspired by the fine folks of Young House Love. If anyone has had a chance to check out (and be inspired by!) their book, it's #193 (pages 252 and 253).


The only requirements were some plain pillow cushion covers (GURLI x3) plus a paint marker (Tree House Studio).


Since I scrapped the rough copy, Freddie supervised my free hand initial-drawing...


The paint marker didn't show up as sharp or as crisp as I had expected it to. The final effect is on the vintage-y side, in that it looks a bit faded and worn in, which is okay by me. Overall the paint marker was super convenient to use, and I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a harsh smell (I assumed it would have stronger fumes, like any other permanent marker).






Total cost:

Cushion covers (x 3) = $14.97 (GURLI from Ikea) 
Paint marker = $3.47 (Tree House Studio from Hobby Lobby)
Total = $18.44


4 comments:

  1. Ooh, these are cute Jen! (And I DO so love your handwriting!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bookmarked this link long ago but it may still be a way to get your handwriting into a font: http://kevinandamanda.com/fonts/fontsforpeas/how-to-get-your-handwriting-as-a-font/ It's free but it's dependent on someone's interest and time.

    You could try http://www.yourfonts.com/ for $10, too.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO AWESOME... you just made my day!

      Definitely going to look into both options.
      Thanks!

      Delete